photo botslide.jpg

Work Experience

Saturday, 20 February 2016

Heyo!

I have had quite a large range of experience over time and it's fair to say that I have learnt quite a bit along the way. I still remember the first place I ever went and it was at a hairdressers...I was washing this woman's hair and she made a complaint about me saying I didn't rub her head hard enough...haha! (she was really mean about it!) Ooops... 
Here are a few places that I have been too and places I am still at now!




The Farm
Previously, a good few posts back actually..!

I wrote about my first day at a farm I was at... that only lasted like 2 weeks!

I forgot to mention that in August I started my new work at a farm much more closer by. It is no where near as fun and challenging but its a place where I have gotten to know people and I feel more comfortable in the environment I'm in. I go there every Sunday for as many hours as I choose to help out a bit here and there, my main tasks include cleaning up after the animals, grooming animals (including guinea pigs!), cleaning out the areas the animals are in and being friendly and helpful to incoming visitors.


If you are looking into working with farm animals, don't be afraid to get dirty...you will get very muddy very quickly and you will at some point end up touching poop... yup! I also recommend you to get a very good pair of wellies, but I really love walking in wellies they are the best so I don't really mind wearing them!

It is a nice experience to have, I particularly enjoy seeing the little baby lambs that have recently been born, they're ultra cute. I'm sure if you are considering this as an idea for some experience you should go for it, it's a very hands-on on job but it's particularly nice in the summer! 


Veterinary Surgery
This week I went to a vets near by where Gareth lives so I stayed at his for the entire time and it was great! The vets I went to was very dated and would be really good if they upgraded the interior a little. I did very long hours there: 8am-6pm
The first day was really interesting! I learnt the basics of how they use the x-rays and the health and safety procedures behind it.
The whole week I got to go into the consultation room with the nurse and watch how they took blood samples and I was allowed in the operating rooms too which was really fascinating!

I got to use my skills and knowledge of restraint on animals including the use of crush cages (its not as bad as it sounds!) and I got the opportunity to weigh the animals.

The vets had their own kennels and cattery there where the animals are kept to recover. Simple tasks such as mopping up, making tea and wiping down table tops were what I was allowed to help out with, although on the fourth day I was allowed to give a doggy a bath in their dog grooming room, this was so much fun I really enjoyed it! 

It's not about what you do at placements, its about what you learn from it! I learnt so much during my week there, make sure you ask lots of questions and you could even ask at the end if they can provide you with any additional information sheets that can help you with your studies (if you want to go into veterinary like I do). 

Unfortunately no photos from this job, but I did get them a very nice thank you card!
Pet Shop
 I don't want to say too much about this! I have been there for a good few months now and I work here on Saturday 9am-5pm.

My main tasks are to clean the shop and sort out displays, feed the animals and clean out the areas they are kept, I bag up saw dust and hay that gets sold and I price tag things.
The only issue was that it didn't breach health and safety regulations and the way the animals were kept wasn't exactly the nicest but I very much enjoyed my time there doing the other tasks... the 27th February will be my last day there :)

For a first time Saturday job I would highly recommend a little shop job such as this one, there are always things to be doing and you will always gain experience from it.



_______________________________________

Over and out!

hehe, this hasn't been the most interesting post in the world, but it's a little log in my life of what I spend most of my time doing! (Apart from my course).
I am still very much up for a giggle though, 


what is the most embarrassing thing that has happened that has happened to you at your work place?
(tell me below in the comments section!)


Ciao! xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme